Did You Know There is Science Behind Our Drying Process?
A sink overflowed on the 2nd floor affected multiple floors with water damage so we brought in our drying equipment to speed up Mother Nature.
Your initial reaction to a water damage may be to grab a few towels to mop up the mess and place a fan or two around the wet area, but there is actually a science behind the drying process. SERVPRO of Point Pleasant is highly trained in the science of drying and follow strict standards to help lower the chance of secondary damages. If you suffer a water damage, we will:
- Inspect the building to detect every component that is wet to help prevent secondary damage.
- Measure how much moisture is in wet materials and monitor whether the materials are drying properly.
- Speed up Mother Nature by using professional drying equipment.
Why exactly do we need to speed up Mother Nature? A wet building can often dry naturally because the environment always seeks equilibrium. When materials are wet, moisture will naturally move to drier air at the surface of the material but only if the air is, indeed, drier. The only problem is, nature often takes too long and secondary damages may occur while the building is drying out, which could lead to the dreaded mold word.
SERVPRO of Point PLeasant has the tools and equipment necessary to help Mother Nature along, including hardwood floors, tough to reach spaces or inside walls and much more. We also use state of the art monitoring equipment and technology along with a proven scientific process to help speed the drying of your property.
Visit our Water Damage Repair and Restoration page for more information or call us at 732-202-3001.
SERVPRO of Point Pleasant is Ready for Whatever Happens. Are you?
SERVPR of Point Pleasant is there when you need them, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
When a storm or disaster strikes, SERVPRO of Point Pleasant is prepared and ready to take action and you should be too. Be prepared in your home or business with an Emergency Kit. Ready.gov suggests you to have enough supplies to last for at least three days. Below are some suggested items to include in your kit:
- 3 day supply of nonperishable foods
- Water (One+ gallon per person)
- First Aid Kit
- Prescription Medicine
- Sleeping Bag or blankets
- Fire extinguisher
- Hygiene products
- Extra batteries
- Cell phone charger
- Change of clothes
- Matches in waterproof container
- Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
- Whistle to signal for help
- Pet supplies
- Infant formula and diapers
- Important documents such as insurance policies, ID’s, and bank records in a plastic container
For a more extensive list, check out Ready.gov.
Whenever or whatever the disaster SERVPRO of Point Pleasant is there when you need them.
4 Steps SERVPRO of Point Pleasant Does Following a Water Loss
A frozen pipe burst in Manahawkin, NJ and caused water damage throughout the 1st floor.
The first 24 hours following a water loss are the most important in preventing secondary or permanent damage. Within 4 hours of emergency water loss notification, SERVPRO of Point Pleasant will be on site to help ensure your loss is handled by completing the following steps:
- Inspection-We will inspect affected areas to determine the extent of water damage and will review the inspection with you to answer any questions before beginning work.
- Emergency Services-SERVPRO of Point Pleasant professionals will take steps to help protect your home or business, as well as personal belongings and other contents, from further water damage by extracting the excess water and preparing the area for drying. They will explain the needed emergency services to you step by step.
- Monitoring-To help ensure your home or business and belongings are dried to appropriate industry standards, we will monitor the drying process. The updates will be communicated to you consistently.
- Restoration Services- Lastly, we will repair structural materials, reinstall carpets, and clean affected areas of your property and belongings. A final walk through of the jobsite will be conducted with you to help ensure the property to preloss condition.
For more information on recovering from a water damage, contact SERVPRO of Point Pleasant at 732-202-3001.
Faster to Any Size Flood Disaster
Brave New World experienced flood damage and they called the cleanup team that is faster is any size disaster.
Having a home or business by the Jersey Shore, there is always a potential for flood damage. Floods are one of the most common and widespread natural disasters in the United States. Just because you have not experienced a flood in the past does not mean you will not in the future. Nearly 20% of all flood insurance claims come from moderate to low risk areas.
When flood damage puts the things that matter most on the line, you need the very best help on the line as well. That is why contacting SERVPRO of Point Pleasant as soon as possible is so important. Even minor floods have the potential to cause major damage to a structure when not treated quickly and properly. Call us at 732-202-3001 or visit our storm and flood damage cleanup and restoration page for more information on our services. Our company is a leader in giving control back to home and business owners and even entire communities after the ravaging effects of water.
A Water Intrusion Quickly Becomes a Mold Problem
This home in Whiting, NJ had a roof that leaked into the attic, unbeknownst to the homeowners, and quickly turned into a mold problem.
When there is a water intrusion, like a roof leak or leaking water line, mold can quickly become a problem in your home. Mold can cause health effects and significant damage to your property. Fortunately, the team at SERVPRO of Point PLeasant, has the training, protective gear, and specialized equipment necessary to handle your mold problem. Although every mold damage scenario is different requiring a unique solution, the general remediation process stays the same. The following steps illustrate a “typical” mold removal process:
- Call 732-202-3001 and we will ask you a series of questions to help us determine the necessary equipment, resources, and personnel needed for your mold problem.
- We will carefully inspect for signs of mold using technology designed to detect mold and hidden water sources, sometimes hidden from plain view.
- Containment procedures may need to be set up to further prevent spreading and isolate the contaminated area with physical barriers and negative air pressure to keep the mold spores from spreading during the cleanup process.
- Specialized filtration equipment will capture microscopic mold spores out of the air. We will utilize our powerful air scrubbers and HEPA vacuums to prevent the spread of these spores while the process is in progress.
- The remediation process depends on the amount of mold growth and the types of surfaces on which the mold appears. We will use antifungal and antimicrobial treatments to eliminate mold colonies and help prevent new ones from forming. Removing and disposing of mold-infested porous materials, like drywall and flooring, may be necessary to remediate heavy growth.
- Cleaning furniture, decorative items, curtains and other restorable items that are affected comes next. We use a variety of cleaning techniques to clean and sanitize your belongings along with removing odors and deodorization using fogging equipment.
- Finally, depending on the level of damage and removing what was necessary, installing new drywall, subfloors, carpeting, etc. and painting may be necessary to finish the restoration process
SERVPRO of Point Pleasant is a trusted leader in the restoration industry. Locally owned and operated, we live and work here and are proud to be part of this community. We are proud to provide mold remediation services in our local communities.
Mold is Present Almost Everywhere
Mold growing on wood in a home in Tuckerton, NJ before the mold remediation process.
Mold is present almost everywhere, both indoors and outdoors, year round, which is not necessarily a bad thing. They are a necessary part of our environment that play a key role in the breakdown of organic materials and recycle nutrients back through our ecosystem.
Airborne mold spores float around inside our homes are simply a fact of our daily life and are normally not harmful. They only becomes harmful or bad when they enter our indoor environment and begin to grow on sustainable food sources that could potentially affect the air with an elevated level of mold spores.
Some examples of sustainable food sources are:
- Carpeting or rugs
Indoors, mold needs moisture to grow and becomes a problem where there is water damage, elevated, prolonged or excessive humidity or dampness. They grow best in warm, damp, and humid conditions. Mold growth can start to grow on a damp surface within 24 to 48 hours and will digest organic material, eventually destroying the material they grow on.
Some people are unaware that molds can be many colors including white, green, orange or blue and not just black or grey. Color has no bearing on whether it is dangerous or not and not all black, brown, grey, or white spots are mold. When unsure, it is best to have a professional evaluate the situation.
The best practice is to remediate the mold at the source and work to prevent future growth. The key to preventing and stopping mold growth is to control excessive moisture and condensation. Removing the mold without fixing the water problem will usually result in the mold coming back. Keeping susceptible areas in the home clean and dry is critical. In cases dealing with humidity, use an air conditioner or a dehumidifier during humid months. Humidity levels change with changes in the moisture in the air and the air temperature, so they will need to regularly monitored. Be sure the home has adequate ventilation, including exhaust fans.
SERVPRO of Point Pleasant knows that every mold infestation is different, from the amount of mold to the types of materials affected. Each scenario requires a unique solution, but the general process stays the same. We are locally owned and operated, and proud to provide mold remediation services in our local communities.
If You See Signs of Mold,
Call us today at (732)349-9898.
Cooking Fire Restoration and Cleanup
This small cooking fire in Bayville, NJ caused significant smoke and soot damage throughout the home.
Cooking Fire Restoration and Cleanup
Cooking fires are the number one cause of home fires. Unattended cooking is the leading cause of fires in the kitchen.
Always cook with caution. Make sure you are focusing on your cooking and not sleepy, distracted, or drinking alcohol. Keep anything that could catch on fire away from your stovetop, such as oven mitts, towels, wooden utensils, food packaging and combustible items. Stay in the kitchen and use a timer to remind you of cooking times. If you need to leave the kitchen, even for a short amount of time, turn off the stove.
If a fire does break out in your kitchen, please remember these simple tips:
- Keep a lid nearby to smother a small grease fire on the stovetop. Carefully slide the lid over the pan and turn off the stovetop. Leave the lid on until the pan cools completely.
- Keep the oven door closed and turn off the heat in the event of an oven fire.
- Leave! Get out as fast as you can and if possible close doors to try to contain the fire.
- Call 911 or your local fire and police departments from outside your home.
Fires are not just frightening while the flames are blazing. The aftermath of a fire can be scary and devastating. Seeing the smoke, soot and water damage left behind can be heartbreaking. Even though the fire occurred in the kitchen, the entire house will need inspecting for both seen and unseen damage.
One of the biggest challenges after a kitchen fire is that you often have smoke and soot which leaves a residue made up of more than one type of material. Understanding how to best clean these residues and the proper tools to use is what SERVPRO of Point Pleasant, your local fire damage cleanup company, does on a daily basis.
Another difficult challenge may be the extensive water damage from firefighting efforts. The water removal process begins almost immediately after the structure is safe to enter. This process removes the majority of the water. We then use dehumidifiers and air movers to remove the remaining water and complete the drying process.
We hope you never have to experience a cooking fire, but if you do, SERVPRO of Point Pleasant will be there to treat you and your loved ones with respect and empathy, and will always treat your home and belongings with care throughout the restoration process.
Common Causes of Commercial Water Damage
SERVPRO of Point Pleasant is extracting water from a clubhouse in Lakewood, NJ after a sprinkler system malfunction.
Common Causes of Commercial Water Damage
Ongoing maintenance to your commercial property is key to not having water related damage. Even with proper maintenance, there is still a chance that your commercial property could experience water damage.
Listed below are the most common causes of commercial water damages besides weather related storms:
- Broken or burst pipes and plumbing-water rushes out of them, spraying or leaking water throughout the building
- Sprinkler systems-any time there is a fire and the sprinklers activate, there will be water damage or the sprinkler system can malfunction and activate on its own
- Malfunctioning appliances such as refrigerators and dishwashers-when these appliances fail, they can leak a significant amount of water, flooding the entire room or more
- Sewer lines-It is not uncommon for the sewer lines to get backed up, releasing contaminated water into the building
Whenever water damage is experienced, you need to take immediate action. You have to determine where the source of the water is coming from first before you can begin the water remediation process.
Water damage is not something that you want to happen or plan to happen to your commercial property. When it does, you want to hire the right company to clean up the water damage to prevent further loss and get your business back to normal as quickly as possible.
Call us 24/7 at 732-202-3001 for your commercial water damage emergency.
Mold Remediation in Commercial Buildings and Schools
Mold Remediation in Commercial Buildings and Schools
Mold can be found almost anywhere. It can grow on virtually any organic substance, as long as moisture and oxygen are present. Mold in schools and commercial buildings, can grow on wood, paper, carpet, foods, and insulation. Mold will gradually destroy the things it grows on. Since mold requires water to grow, it is important to prevent moisture problems in buildings. Moisture problems can have many causes, including uncontrolled humidity. By controlling moisture and eliminating mold growth, you can:
- Prevent damage to building materials and furnishings
- Save money
- Avoid potential health risks
If you suspect your school or commercial property has mold, call SERVPRO of Point Pleasant because it can spread quickly, if left untreated. We will begin the mold cleanup after the sources of water or moisture have been addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return. After the water or moisture problem has been resolved, we will begin by working to first contain the infestation to help prevent its spread to other parts of the building. Next, we will begin the remediation process, working safely and effectively to manage the situation. Our team has the training, experience, and equipment to contain the mold infestation and remediate it to preloss condition.
Suspect Mold? Call Us Today at 732-202=3001.
Water Damage from a Burst Pipe in Freehold, NJ
This photo may look like a photo taken at night at the beach but in reality it is a crawl space flooded with water from a burst pipe in Freehold, NJ.
Quick action is key to minimize further damage from a burst pipe. Follow these simple tips:
1. Shut off water: Immediately shut of the main water valve to your home to reduce further damage to your home.
2. Power down: Avoid a shock by powering down and unplugging electrical devices in the area where the water has entered.
3. Protect possessions: Remove belongings from the area if possible, to avoid excess damage to your possessions.
4. Call a plumber: Contact a certified and trusted professional plumber to help you fix to the burst pipe if you are unable to fix it properly yourself.
5. Contact SERVPRO of Point Pleasant, your local water damage restoration company: In the event your home is effected by water, contact us at 732-202-3001 to remove the water, dry the structure, and prevent further damage such as mold.
6. Contact your insurance company: Depending on your policy, water damage caused by a burst pipe may be covered. Contact your insurance company and file a claim to have damages assessed and necessary repairs and recovery actions reimbursed.
7. Record the damage: Take photos and write down personal items and structural areas of your home that are damaged by the burst pipe. This will help in your claims process.
Prevention is best to avoid damaging and costly effects of frozen and burst pipes, but despite our best efforts, pipes still freeze and burst. Call us at 732-202-3001 at the first sign of water damage to minimize further damage and cost.