Don't Forgot a Preparedness Plan for Your Pets and Animals
At SERVPRO of Point Pleasant, pets are important family members so we make them a part of your preparedness planning.
If you haven't done so already, now is the time to put a plan in place for your pet or pets in case of an emergency.
There are several things you can do to make sure they stay stay safe during an emergency. Putting a Pet Emergency Kit together for your pets is the easiest way to plan ahead for an emergency. Ready.gov/animals lists the following items as essential to building your Pet Emergency Kit
- Bring at least a three day supply of food per animal in an airtight, waterproof container.
- Bring at least a three day supply of water per animal.
- Back all medicines and medical records for your pets in a waterproof case.
- Put together a first aid kit that includes cotton bandage rolls, bandage tape, scissors, antibiotic ointment, latex gloves, Isopropyl alcohol and saline solution. Could not hurt to include a pet first aid reference book too.
- collar or harness with ID tag, rabies tag and a leash.
- Have a sturdy, safe crate or carrier for each animal in case you need to evacuate. It should be large enough for your pet to stand, turn around and lie down.
- Everything necessary for sanitation. Pet litter and litter box if appropriate. Paper towels, plastic trash bags and household chlorine bleach.
- A picture of your pet and yourself to show others to assist if if you become separated from your pet.
- Bring microchip information in case you become separated from your pet in order to help locate them. Most veterinary clinics and shelters will have scanners to read the microchips.
- Bring some familiar items for your pet to make them comfortable and to help reduce stress during an emergency, such as treats, toys and bedding.
Pets are just as important as any family member to most people, so never leave your pet behind. They could be lost, hurt or even die if left behind. If you are unable to take your pet for any reason, please contact a local shelter, a family member or friend, police department, fire department or post on social media ahead of time for assistance.
For more information on preparedness for pets and animals, please visit ready.gov/animals.
Do You Know Why the United States has Fire Prevention Week Every Year?
Even a small fire in a garage, like this one in Toms River, can quickly fill your entire home with smoke and soot. Be safe and plan ahead.
Fire Prevention Week (FPW) began in commemoration of the Great Chicago Fire of 1871, which burned from October 8 until October 10 and caused devastating damage to the city. The History Channel reported that this tragedy killed an estimated 300 people and destroyed more than 17,000 structures. There are many theories on what started the fire, including a cow tipping over a lantern in a barn, but the truth is still unknown as to how it began.
This year’s Fire Prevention Week will be observed October 7th through 13th. The purpose of this week is to bring awareness to people of all ages and races in order to keep everyone safe. The National Fire Protection Association's theme this year is “Look. Listen. Learn. Be aware. Fire can happen anywhere.”
“LOOK” for places fire could start. Take a good look around your home. Identify potential fire hazards and take care of them.
“LISTEN” for the sound of the smoke alarm. You could have only minutes to escape safely once the smoke alarm sounds. Meet at a predesignated meeting spot outside and a safe distance from the home and remain there until safe.
“LEARN” two ways out of every room and make sure all doors and windows leading outside open easily and are free of clutter.
In a fire, mere seconds can mean the difference between a safe escape and a tragedy for your family or friends. That is why not only yourself but all members of your household should understand how to stay safe in case of a fire.
Please join SERVPRO of Point Pleasant in keeping our family and community safe this year. Follow these safety tips on escape planning by the NFPA.
Call SERVPRO of Point Pleasant in the unfortunate event of fire damage at 732-202-3001.
Are You Aware that September is Mold Awareness Month?
Mold spreads quickly, so a minor mold infestation can quickly escalate into a major problem.
Are You Aware that September is Mold Awareness Month?
Molds are part of our natural environment, and can be found everywhere, indoors and outdoors. Molds are usually not a problem indoors, unless mold spores land on a wet or damp spot and begin growing. The mold spores will not grow if moisture is not present. Indoor mold growth can and should be prevented or controlled by controlling moisture indoors.
It only takes a small water leak, or even excess humidity, for mold to form in your Point Pleasant home or business. Then, mold can spread quickly through the property in as little as 48 hours. Mold can produce allergens and irritants, and it has the potential to cause other health effects.
Listed below are a few simple tips if you suspect you may have a mold situation:
- DO NOT ignore possible signs of mold. Immediately look for possible sources of moisture without disturbing suspected mold to prevent further spreading.
- Repair any sources of water as quickly as possible and thoroughly dry the any areas that are wet or damp.
- Move anything that is not suspected of having mold on it to a safe and dry area.
- If possible, seal off areas that may be contaminated to prevent further spreading.
If You See Signs of Mold,
Call SERVPRO of Point Pleasant Today at 732-202-3001.
Five Preventative Tips Against Water Damage
An appliance leak caused this home to need water damage restoration in this Toms River home.
Water damage is one of the most common issues that homeowners like us, may face, but with prevention, we may stop it before it begins. Here are five simple tips to aid in the prevention of water destruction in your home:
- Do not ignore leaks. If you notice a leak inside or outside your home fix it quickly because a small leak will not remain small. If you are unable to fix it yourself, call in a plumber immediately. The faster you fix a leak, the less damage it will leave behind.
- Watch for increases in your water bill. If you have an increasingly high water bill one month there may be an unseen reason. Some pipes are in walls or underneath flooring making it difficult to see the leak or burst pipe.
- Regularly inspect appliances connected to a water supply line. Any appliance that connect to a water supply line, have a chance of bursting or leaking. Appliances using hoses are a common weakness for water damage problems. Replace any that show signs of decay, rust or damage.
- Turn off your main water valve to your home before going away. Turning off the main valve will cut off your home’s entire water supply and ensure that water will not wreak havoc on your home while unoccupied.
- Regularly inspect your roof and gutters. Keeping your roof in good condition with no cracks or loose shingles is a great line of defense against rainwater entering your home. While checking the roof, do not forget remove debris from your gutters to prevent overflow.
In Need of Water Damage Cleanup? Call SERVPRO of Point Pleasant when a fast response is critical. We are your local water damage specialists who get started promptly to get your property dry and back to pre-water-damage condition.
Corroded Pipes at Local Dental Office Cause Water Damage
A local dental office in Bayville, NJ was surprised to find water damage on the their floors when they returned to the office.
A commercial dental office had a flood in areas of their building caused by corroded pipes attached to the water filtration system. Corrosion of pipes is due to physical and chemical reactions between the pipe material and water. In simple words, the metal from the piping dissolves into the water from various causes. Depending on the degree of the reaction, a new piping system can show signs of corrosion in as little as two years. If you are dealing with an older home, corrosion is always a risk. With corrosion comes restricted water flow and in extreme cases, cruddy water.
The rate of pipe corrosion is commonly associated with the following factors:
- Alkaline water, with a high pH level above 8.5.
- Acidic water, with a low pH level under 7.0.
- An elevated level of dissolved oxygen in the water.
- A high level of dissolved salts in the water, known as Total Dissolved Solids (TDS).
- Electrochemical issues, most commonly improper grounding of appliances and/or lightning strikes that pass through utility grounding wires.
- Bacteria that can cause corrosion, such as iron bacteria and sulfates.
- Hydraulic wear, caused by materials, such as grit, sand, and sediment, moving across the surface of the pipe.
- High velocity water, relative to the pipe size that causes hydraulic wear on the pipe surface, sometimes caused by pumps in hot water systems.
- An incorrect copper piping installation, where the ends of the pipe were not deburred or reamed and/or excessive acidic flux when the pipes were soldered together.
There is never a convenient time for water damage to strike your business. Every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. SERVPRO of Point Pleasant has the training, experience, and equipment to handle large commercial flooding or water damage emergencies. Whether your water emergency occurs in a small office building or big box store, we will respond quickly to mitigate the damage and manage the restoration project through to its completion. In an emergency, give us a call 24/7 at 732-202-3001 and we will be there fast with the help you need.
Summertime Sewage Removal at the Jersey Shore
Summertime at the Jersey Shore is the time for getting out in the sun, enjoying fresh air and swimming at the beach. The last thing you want to come home to find after a wonderful summer day is the smell of sewage. When you left in the morning, there was no sign of the disaster to come. Unfortunately, this family in Lavallette, had exactly that experience this summer.
Sewage poses a serious health risk to any humans and animals living in the home, so anything it touches must be cleaned, disinfected, or discarded. Sewage can cause extensive property damage and severe health problems and, on top of that, it is extremely difficult and unpleasant to deal with because it requires a lot of time and effort, as well as specialized disinfecting products and purification techniques. Immediate cleanup of the affected area can help minimize the future damage and can prevent mold growth.
This photo shows that special training and equipment is necessary to clean this type of contamination safely. At SERVPRO of Point Pleasant, we consider sewage cleanup to be an emergency and dealt with as quickly as possible. We are the water damage restoration specialists with specific training and expertise to safely restore your home to pre-sewage condition.
Be Fire Smart against Electrical Fires in Your Home
Even a small electrical fire can cause significant damage to your Ocean County home.
There are more than 45,000 home electrical fires each year. They are the most common cause of fires in the home. They cause millions of dollars in damages, while claiming lives in the process. Most electrical fire deaths occur between midnight and 6 AM with peak months being December through March, according to the U.S. Fire Administration. Common causes can be:
- Always appliances directly into a wall outlet.
- Never use an extension cord with a major appliance because it can easily overheat and start a fire.
- Unplug small appliances when you are not using them.
- Keep lamps, light fixtures and light bulbs away from anything that can burn.
- Use light bulbs that match the recommended wattage on the lamp or fixture.
- Check electrical cords on appliances often. Replace cracked, damaged and loose electrical cords. Do not try to repair them.
- Do not overload wall outlets.Insert plugs fully into sockets.
- Never force a three-prong cord into a two-slot outlet.
- Install tamper-resistant electrical outlets if you have young children.
- Extension Cords, Power Strips and Surge Protectors
- Replace worn, old or damaged extension cords right away.
- Use extension cords for temporary purposes only.
- Avoid putting cords where they can be damaged or pinched, like under a carpet or rug.
- Do not overload power strips.
- Use power strips that have internal overload protection.
If your home does experience an electrical fire, SERVPRO of Point Pleasant specializes in fire damage restoration. We have the specific damage restoration training, personnel, and equipment and can quickly restore your home to pre-fire condition.
In addition to fire, smoke, and soot damage, your Point Pleasant home may also suffer from water damage as a result of the firefighting efforts. This type of damage can be especially upsetting and destructive for your family to process. You may feel stressed, confused, and vulnerable, so you’ll need a caring expert to guide you through this crisis. We’ll treat you with respect and empathy, and we’ll always treat your home and belongings with care.
Restoring Your Point Pleasant or Brick Commercial Property after a Water Damage Event
A commercial property in Toms River had an unexpected water damage and SERVPRO of Point Pleasant made it "Like it never even happened."
Flooding and water damage events at Point Pleasant and Brick commercial properties are often complex with numerous issues that require knowledge and a fast, flexible response time. Whether we are dealing with a relatively small water cleanup scenario or a larger event, we work quickly to assess each unique situation and isolate the damaged area. In many instances, normal operations can continue in a temporary space while we restore your facility.
- Small Office Buildings
- Large Office/High-Rise Office Buildings
- Apartment Buildings
- Small Retail Stores
- Large Retail/Big-Box Stores
- High-Rise Residential
- Manufacturing & Industrial
At SERVPRO of Point Pleasant, our trained professionals will be mindful of legal and environmental concerns and strive to restore the damaged area while working within your budgetary constraints. We understand that every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. In the event of an emergency in your business, give us a call day or night, weekdays or weekends, and we will be there fast with the help you require.
Mold Spores are Present in the Air all the Time
A water leak behind a sink was unseen for more than 48 hours and quickly spread into a "mold problem" in this home in Toms River, NJ.
Mold spores are present in the air all the time so it is impossible to eliminate every trace of it. It becomes more a matter of preventing the start of mold growth rather than trying to eliminate it once it starts to grow and spread. You might come across “DIY” tricks for getting rid of mold, but they almost never work. The most effective option is usually to call a professional who can:
- Locate and identify mold
- Assess the damage
- Contain the mold and keep it from spreading
- Identify and repair sources of moisture
- Provide air filtration
- Physically remove the mold
- Clean the affected area
- Develop and execute a restoration plan
When choosing a mold removal company, it is important to remember that killing the mold is more important than scoring a low price or “cheap deal.” SERVPRO of Point Pleasant has highly trained specialists that specialize in mold removal and remediation. We effectively restore your home or business to pre-mold condition.
Mold can spread in as little as 48 hours. We will beat the clock and attend to your mold issue immediately so that it does not worsen. As your Point Pleasant neighbors, we take pride in making your mold problem “Like it never even happened.” If you suspect you might have a mold problem, call us 24/7 at 732-202-3001. You can also learn more about our mold remediation and restoration services here.
After a Fire
A fire may leave the outside of your home untouched, as this one did in Ocean County, but the inside was covered in smoke and soot damage.
After a Fire
After a fire, the outside of your home may not show fire damage, but that does not mean that the inside fared as well. A small fire inside can leave the outside looking like new while the entire inside may be covered in smoke and soot. In addition to smoke and soot damage, your Toms River home may also suffer from water damage from the firefighting efforts.
Immediate action is crucial when dealing with fire damage. We are dedicated to responding immediately when you need help. A fast response helps lessen the damage, limits secondary damage, and reduces cost. This type of damage can be especially upsetting and destructive for your family to process. You may feel stressed, confused, and vulnerable, so you will need a caring expert to guide you through this crisis. We will treat you with respect and empathy, and we will always treat your home and belongings with care.
At SERVPRO of Point Pleasant, we specialize in fire and water damage restoration, the cornerstone of our business. We have extensive cleanup and restoration training to get your property back to pre-fire condition.