Want to Be Severe Storm Ready?
Simple measures prepared before the storm can save you hours of aggravation after the storm.
Some dangers of severe weather and storms include tornadoes, strong winds, hail and flash flooding. There is not always time to get everything we may need together quickly before the storm, so always have stuff ready for quick evacuation. Some items you may want to have packed and ready include:
- non-perishable food
- manual can opener
- battery powered radio
- extra batteries
- personal hygiene items
- first aid supplies/kit
- copies of important documents
- cell phone fully charged
- important contact information for family and friends
- change of clothes
- pocket knife
- rain gear
What should my first aid/medical kit contain?
- sterile adhesive bandages
- pain relievers
- first aid guide
- moist towelettes
What important documents should I copy and have ready?
- insurance cards
- medical records
- bank numbers
- credit card numbers
- copies of birth certificates and/or marriage licenses
- copy of social security cards
- other personal documents
- copy of wills
- titles of cars and properties
- house inventory photos
Never leave your pets behind and make sure you have enough extra food, water, leashes, medicines and vet records for them.
We all hope to never need to use these emergency kits but it is always better to be prepared just in case an emergency strikes.
Can Soot Cause Damage If Left Untreated?
It’s not uncommon to have questions about the soot removal process. Call SERVPRO of Point Pleasant today to answer all your questions at 732-202-3001
What is soot?
Soot is a black carbonaceous substance produced during incomplete combustion of coal, wood, oil, etc., rising in fine particles that adhere to and blacken surfaces on contact., according to the Free Dictionary.
This is messy irritant, soot, can damage materials it touches. Therefore, proper cleaning techniques need to be used, especially when cleaning soot off the ceilings and walls, or you could actually make the situation worse instead of better.
Soot can spread much further than flames, staining many different surfaces throughout your home. Porous materials like drywall, paint, wood, carpeting, and fabric are most susceptible to soot damage. Other non-porous materials like metal, stone, and glass, are more resistant to soot but they can still be damaged. Soot may also get into ductwork for your heating and air conditioning system, which could spread it even further.
Why is soot produced?
Incomplete combustion produces soot. Keeping burners and pilots cleaned and properly adjusted can reduce the amount of soot produced. Uncontrolled combustion, such as wood burning in an open fireplace, candles, and cigarettes, produce higher amounts of soot, according to Iowa State University.
How is the soot problem solved?
Find and eliminate the source. Remove all traces of soot from all surfaces.
What Happens if Soot Remains on Surfaces?
The longer the soot remains due to it's acidic nature, the more significant the damage to properties and structures if not properly cleaned in a timely manner. Metal will corrode if soot remains on the surface. Glass and mirrors can become etched. Plastic, vinyl, and fabric may become discolored.
What is Soot vs Smoke?
Soot is seeable part on surfaces and smoke is the gaseous part that produces an odor.
Can SERVPRO of Point Pleasant remove all soot?
SERVPRO of Point Pleasant understands that each soot damage presents unique issues and challenges. As experts in soot damage cleanup, our crew has seen, cleaned and restored it all.
Is There Anything More Traumatic for a Business Then Discovering a Fire Has Struck Their Business?
SERVPRO of Point Pleasant is here to help 24/7.
Whether you get a call from the fire department about a fire at your business or arrive there and see a fire truck putting out flames, both are devastating and shocking. Once the initial shock wears off, call SERVPRO of Point Pleasant as soon as possible. We provide expert fire damage cleanup services designed for business in New Jersey. We will return your Ocean County business to its pre-disaster state quickly, while minimizing the impact and interruption to your business as much as possible.
What can I do until help arrives at my business?
- You may walk through AFTER it is deemed safe but not without gloves, eye protection, a face-mask, and a respirator to keep smoke particles off your skin and out of your lungs.
- Although the fire may have only affected one area of your Point Pleasant or Brick business, smoke can permeate a larger area. Try and ventilate the building by opening windows and running fans, if possible.
- Smoke can cause malfunctions in the mechanisms so be sure to inspect and appliances before turning them on.
- Always throw away any perishable food items that may have been exposed to smoke and never try to save them.
- Change the filter in your air conditioner unit before you turn it on because soot most likely will have accumulated there.
Why can you always count on SERVPRO of Point Pleasant for your commercial fire damage emergency?
- We offer 24 hour emergency service
- We utilize state-of-the-art cleaning and restoration technology
- We are faster to any size disaster
- We are a trusted leader in the fire restoration industry with over
- Our crew is highly trained in fire damage cleanup
- We are locally owned and operated
Our fire damage cleanup crew is just a phone call away, operating 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Call us at 732-202-3001 for all your emergency commercial fire needs.
Strong Storms Bring Power Outages and Flooding to Ocean County
Follow these easy 9 steps to be prepared for future storms in NJ.
Ocean County and surrounding areas have woken up to scattered debris and some damage after strong thunder and lightning storms blew through these last few weeks. Howling winds brought down trees and branches and caused power outages across Ocean County.
Monday’s storm on July 12, 2021 tore through our area. Hooper Avenue near Oak Avenue in Toms River had downed power lines and there were nearly 2,000 homes without power as of 5 p.m. The storm brought down power lines in some places, and there were reports of homes possibly struck by lightning, according to the The Patch.
Tropical storm Elsa headed to the Jersey Shore this past Friday, July 9, 2021, with heavy rain, severe winds, heavy rain and flash flooding. This storm brought traffic disruptions at three Toms River intersections.
Powerful thunderstorms pushed through Ocean County on Tuesday night, July 6, 2021. The storm caused more than 3,500 Ocean County homes and businesses to still be without power on Wednesday morning. According to National Weather Service Mount Holly, the storm was very active, with nearly 900 cloud-to-ground lightning strikes recorded in Central Jersey in an hour
With NJ not even half way through the hurricane season that lasts from June 1st to November 30th, we have already seen some serious storms already. New Jersey's tropical storm activity is typically between August and late October, according to Office of Emergency Management. Weather researchers from Colorado State University say the 2021 Atlantic hurricane season will likely be more active than normal, for the sixth straight year. But they don’t expect it to be as stormy as last year’s explosive, record breaking season. CSU is predicting 17 named storms, five higher than the normal average. Of the 17, eight are likely to intensify into hurricanes, and four of those are likely to become major hurricanes. Major hurricanes are storms that are classified as Category 3, 4 or 5 in terms of wind strength. Category 3 hurricanes pack sustained winds of 111 to 129 mph, Category 4 storms produce winds as strong as 130 to 156 mph and Category 5 hurricanes generate catastrophic winds higher than 156 mph.
Follow SERVPRO's Emergency Preparedness Checklist to be storm ready.
Why Use SERVPRO for Your Business’ Restoration and Remediation Emergencies?
SERVPRO of Point Pleasant handles all types of water, fire and mold cleanup, restoration and remediation.
When your business experiences an emergency from a natural disaster, plumbing issue, fire, or flood, you need to act fast to limit financial loss, and keep your business open. Commercial restoration companies, like SERVPRO of Point Pleasant, offers several services to bring your property back to its original condition, something you likely can’t do by yourself if you have suffered extensive damages.
What are SERVPRO of Point Pleasant’s Qualifications to Handle My Business’s Emergency?
- We are an IICRC Certified Firm, which ensures top-level standards and ethics surrounding restoration processes.
- We have high ratings on sites such as Google and Facebook and we often testimonials on our website to showcase previous clients’ reviews. Here at SERVPRO of Point Pleasant, we are very proud to say that we get many customer reviews about our technicians for their knowledgeable, understanding and their attention to detail.
- Our highly trained team of specialists work extensively in the disaster recovery field and handle all aspects of disaster cleanup. Our technicians have certifications from the IICRC to prove that they have the skills and necessary training to perform all required tasks.
- We will deal with your insurance company after a disaster to make everything as smooth as possible during this stressful time. Our business is to get you back to your business as soon as possible. If your business is still able to function during the restoration process, we will do everything possible to minimize disruption so that you can remain as efficient as possible.
- Our quick response time can help stop further damage and keep costs from increasing.
What types of emergencies can SERVPRO of Point Pleasant handle for your business?
- Mold Removal
- Fire Damage Restoration Service
- Water Removal and Cleanup
- Sewage Cleanup
- Bio-hazard Cleanup
Contact SERVPRO of Point Pleasant today for all your business’ water, fire and mold emergencies at 732-202-3001.
What is the Cleanup Process after an Unexpected Death in Brick or Point Pleasant?
We are available 24 hours a day and our highly trained technicians are standing ready to respond to these incidents.
An unexpected death, such as a violent crime or suicide, may leave behind bio-hazards such as: pathogens, bacteria, viruses, and other contaminations, that you or loved ones could run risk of coming into contact with. What are bio-hazards and pathogens?
What are biohazards?
Biohazards are biological agents, such as infectious microorganisms that or conditions that constitutes a threat to humans.
What are Pathogens?
Pathogens (or also known as an infectious agent) are bacterium, viruses, or other microorganisms that can cause diseases.
What is SERVPRO of Point Pleasant’s Cleanup Process after an Unexpected Death?
- Assess the area, including the amount surrounding area of hazardous material.
- Isolate the impacted area to prevent further spread and prevent cross-contamination.
- Clean all signs of blood or biological material and safely discard contaminated materials.
- Disinfect impacted areas with proper cleaners specific to your specific job requirements.
- Remove any remaining or lingering odors.
Our crime and trauma cleanup professionals know how hard it can be to understand and process the loss of a loved one. We can walk you through the entire process so you know what to expect while showing empathy and understanding. If you are faced with the aftermath of an event that has left a large amount of blood or other contaminations, call the cleanup experts at SERVPRO of Point Pleasant at (732) 202-3001. We will help you and your family prevent further unneeded, additional trauma. We provide cleanup for the owners of both residential and business properties in Point Pleasant and Brick.
Four Things Point Peasant Property Owners Need to Know About Water Damage
SERVPRO drying equipment in the utility room where cause of water loss occurred.
Here are the four things to know about a water loss in your Point Pleasant home:
- Contact your insurance carrier immediately. As soon as you discover water damage, let your insurance carrier know so the claims process can begin. Your agent will also give you tips for protecting your property from additional damage and may refer you to a water-damage restoration company (you are not obligated to use the specialist they recommend). Note: Insurance companies differentiate between water damage and flood damage, so be sure to specify which applies to your situation. Also, not all water damage is covered by insurance—review your policy carefully.
- Time is of the essence when you have water damage. Water is aggressive and cruel. Once it seeps in to carpets, flooring, walls, furniture, paper, and everything else in its wake, it will continue to destroy. Drywall will droop and disintegrate. Wood will swell, buckle, warp, and rot. Electrical equipment may short out, causing shock and fire hazards. Mold will flourish. For anything other than a minor spill, it’s best you get a professional assessment of your situation to determine the extent of damage. Professional water-damage specialists can then begin the restoration process and halt additional damage.
- You’ve got less than 48 hours to dry out before mold takes over. Mold spores lurk everywhere, but they’re opportunistic. Give them a nice wet environment—like a soaked carpet or damp drywall—and they’ll multiply like mad. You have 24 to 48 hours to dry your space before the fungus invasion. Mold remediation is a dirty deed and is best left to specialists who have the right equipment and cleaning supplies to get the job done swiftly.
- Water may be contaminated. An overflowing dishwasher or burst water heater releases clean H2O, so there’s little immediate risk of harm. But, again, time is not on your side. “Clean” water that’s been sitting around can foster bacterial growth or pick up icky stuff from dirty carpets and ground soil, sullying the waters within hours. Even more serious: Sewage backups, toilet overflow, storm-drain water, and other polluted waters that enter your home can be dangerous to your health. Attempting to clean these messes up yourself is a bad idea. Get professional help from certified water-damage remediation experts, like SERVPRO of Point Pleasant.
Since every water damage scenario is a little different, each water cleanup is also different. SERVPRO of Point Pleasant knows how to handle all water emergencies. Call us today at (732) 202-3001.
What Can I Do About Mold in My Basement Bathroom?
This wood covered in mold, was removed from the subfloor in a bathroom in a basement of a Point Pleasant home.
What Can I Do About Mold in My Point Pleasant Basement Bathroom?
When bathroom facilities get installed in a Point Pleasant basement, the need for mold remediation may arise. One of the main reasons for this is the need for an injection pump to replace gravity that works for toilet flushing on upper levels in a home. Diligence is needed for these hardworking pieces of equipment because if they develop a leak, the already moist air conditions create a perfect environment for mold growth, which can spread rapidly across sheetrock. It is a good idea to perform an inspection monthly to ensure small leaks get handled before they become big problems in the home.
Necessary Actions for Cleanup From Mold Damage
Once sheetrock has a mold infestation, it requires removal as it has no potential for restoration through cleaning. The techs carefully cut off the damaged portions and expose the framework underneath for drying, cleaning, and the application of antimicrobial sealant as needed to inhibit the reestablishment of any colonies post-mitigation.
As soon as signs of mold colonies get found, call SERVPRO of Point Pleasant at (732) 202-3001 for expert mold remediation. The techs have extensive training in the safe handling of this type of infestation and can restore your home to its preloss condition.
What Kind of Flood is Your Brick Business Facing?
This kitchen is as good as new after SERVPRO of Point Pleasant cleaned up their water damage.
What Kind of Flood Are You Facing in Your Brick Business?
Flooding is a general term for several different unique circumstances that can threaten your business. The penetration points are often determining factors in knowing the damage that you are facing. With natural flooding situations that could have encountered substances like sewage and other threatening chemicals, the threat becomes contaminants on surfaces and furniture in your eatery. Clean water incidents can be just as structurally compromising if exposure continues unabated for too long. Identifying the type of threat ensures that our professionals arrive with not only the right tools and technologies to make a difference but our licensed commercial contractors as necessary to provide temporary construction solutions and repairs. Some of the most common flood scenarios include:
- Roof Flooding – Damage to the roof of your building during a storm can leave your property vulnerable to water penetration. While these are clean water incidents, the water can spread throughout the entire building from a single breach when an upper floor or attic storage space gets flooded.
- Natural Flooding – In almost any season or conditions of the year, steady rainfall or precipitation can lead to the rising creeks, streams, and other water bodies around the area. Lower-lying properties like your restaurant could have water penetrate the main building level as several feet of migrating water moves through the region.
- Flash Flooding – These flood scenarios develop quickly and expose any vulnerabilities in your structure with a fast rush of floodwater. Much like natural flooding situations, flash floods must get contaminated.
- Wind-Driven Flooding – With structural weaknesses like missing siding, damaged masonry, or broken windows in the building, torrential rainfall, and other precipitation events can force water inside the structure.
How Bad is the Damage?
Identifying the severity of the situation is one of the critical components of successful restoration and recovery. When our professionals first arrive, we determine the spread and severity of the flooding through an intricate and thorough evaluation of the property with a job scoping phase. This step helps to pinpoint damaged areas, water migration, compromised contents, and areas in need of immediate attention by our professionals. It can also indicate where specific practices might need to get implemented to protect unaffected areas of your business and work to keep flooding from destroying your whole building. Some of these include:
Does My Business Need to Close?
It is always our intention to keep businesses open whenever possible, but this is unwise in situations where contamination or microbial threats could be a factor. These are not only hazardous but can damage your reputation. Our SERVPRO team works around the clock to make Bricktown flood losses “Like it never even happened,” so you can get your doors back open again quickly.
As threatening as flooding can be, the right professional presence can resolve it fast. You can rely on the response and experience of our SERVPRO of Point Pleasant technicians. Give us a call anytime at (732) 202-3001.
SERVPRO's Fire Damage Cleanup and Board Up Services
This master bedroom ceiling and ceiling fan in Brick, NJ are covered in a layer of soot damage from a fire outside.
Fire damage does not always mean that your entire home has been destroyed by a fire. Fire damage can be a small one room fire and can also just consist of soot damage, smoke damage and/or water damage that may surface while extinguishing a fire. Not only can fire damage effect your structure but smoke and soot damages also impacts furniture and electronic devices.
After your property is deemed safe to enter by the fire Marshall, it is imperative that you start fire damage mitigation as soon as possible. Not only can fire damage effect your structure, but smoke and soot damages may impact furniture, electronic devices, family heirlooms, pictures and keepsakes. Due to the fact that every fire damage is unique and the surfaces of affected items vary, fire damage cleanup is not something that you should attempt on your own. Let your local fire damage mitigation company take care of this process for you.
SERVPRO of Point Pleasant’s fire damage cleanup services include:
- 24/7 Emergency Response
- Emergency Board Up-When your home has suffered damage from a storm, fire or other disaster and cannot be secured, you need board up services to protect your property and prevent additional damages by using the proper supplies to board up windows, walls, and doors
- Smoke and Soot Cleanup and Removal- use specialized cleaning equipment
- Odor Removal- Odors will cling to a variety of surfaces and may linger in your home long after the fire has been extinguished. The types of materials that were burned will determine what the removal processes for them with will be.
- Content Cleaning and Restoration- This process involves cleaning, repairing, and deodorizing items that have been damaged by smoke, soot and water.
- Full Documentation
- Reconstruction-SERVPRO of Toms River not only handles the cleanup and restoration process after a fire, we will also rebuild and restore your property in Ocean County after a fire.
We use several methods of cleaning your contents, including:
- Dry Cleaning - Used for cleaning light residues or to pre-clean prior to wet cleaning.
- Wet Cleaning - An effective cleaning method for removing moderate to heavy residues.
- Spray and Wipe -Effective for items that can’t withstand wet cleaning.
- Foam Cleaning - Used for upholstery fabrics that might shrink or bleed if wet cleaned.
- Abrasive Cleaning - Involves agitation of the surface being cleaned.
- Immersion Cleaning - Contents are dipped into a bath of the cleaning product.
If by chance you experience a fire damage, remember to give your local cleanup pros a call at 732-202-3001. For the past two decades, our proven professionals have been helping customers throughout the state protect their property during this difficult time. Along with decades of experience, we have specialized equipment and cleaning methods to get your property back to it’s pre-fire condition quickly. We can swiftly and economically restore your property, completely rebuild and restore your property.