Tips to Keep Your Home Fire Damage Free During the Holidays
The holiday season is a time to get together with family and friends. Whether you celebrate at home with a few loved ones or host a large gathering, there are a few precautions to consider to help ensure your holiday stays happy and safe.
The U.S. Fire Administration suggests following these simply holiday decorating tips to help keep your home fire free:
- Use only non-flammabe decorations and place all decorations away from heat vents and heating sources.
- Maintain holiday lights. Check lights for frayed wires, bare spots, gaps in insulation, broken or cracked sockets and excessive wire kinking. This should be done yearly before using all lights. Only use lighting by an approved testing laboratory.
- Do not overload electrical sockets. Do not link more than three strands of lights, unless directions indicate it is safe. Periodically, check the wires. The wires should not be warm to the touch.
- Avoid using lit candles. Consider choosing flameless candles over flame candles. If you do choose flame candles, make sure they are in a stable holders and place them in low traffic areas, where they can not be knocked down. Never leave a candle unattended.
- Do not block exits with decorations or trees.
- Check all smoke and fire detectors to ensure they are in proper working order.
Whether you are ready for the holidays or not, SERVPRO of Point Pleasant will always be "Ready for whatever happens." If If disaster does strike your home during the holiday season, SERVPRO of Point Pleasant will be on call for your fire damage emergency 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.