Flooding Information for Your Home or Business
What is flooding?
Flooding is a temporary overflow of water onto land that is normally dry.
What could cause flooding?
- Result from rain, snow, coastal storms, storm surges and overflows of dams and other water systems.
- Develop slowly or quickly. Flash floods can come with no warning.
- Cause outages, disrupt transportation, damage buildings and create landslides.
What you should know about Flood Safety:
- Make a family emergency communication plan and include pets.
- Have emergency supplies in place at home, at work, and in the car.
- Check on your neighbors to make sure they’re okay.
- Know what to do before, during, and after a flood.
- Flood insurance takes 30 days to take effect.
- Listen to local officials by radio, TV or social media.
- Evacuate when advised by authorities or if you are in a flood or flash flood prone area.
- If you are on high ground above flooded areas, being prepared to stay where you are may be the best protection.
- Never drive or walk through flooded streets.
For FEMA's Be Prepared for a Flood information sheets, click here.
When can you return to your home after a flood?
Pay attention to authorities for information and instructions than return home only when authorities say it is safe.
What can you do to restore your home or business after a flood?
Call SERVPRO of Point Pleasant as soon as possible. has the specialized training and expertise to restore your home back to its pre-storm condition. Our restoration process puts an emphasis on scientific drying techniques, progress monitoring and documentation. Our quick response will help prevent secondary damage and help reduce restoration costs.